Re: Gender bias (was Evolving language or laziness)

Subject: Re: Gender bias (was Evolving language or laziness)
From: Mercedes Abels <maa5906 -at- GRIFFON -dot- MWSC -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 17:34:30 -0600

Tim,
Al I can say is that you are obiously missing the point here. Using "he"
here _does_ distract many readers, and not all of them female. Some male
readers are sensitive to the subtle bias exercised by the use of a male
pronoun being used to describe all humankind. I find it hard to believe,
after reading much of what you've written here, that you would not be put
off by being referred to as "she." I don't find it insulting to be
included in a genercic he, I find it slighting, dismissing and fairly
irritating when, after several discussins in which this opinion has been
voiced, I am still referred to as "he" simply because some writers find
it bothersome to find an acceptable alternative.

Marci Abels
maa5906 -at- mwsc -dot- edu