Re: Online with IBM's BookManger

Subject: Re: Online with IBM's BookManger
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 08:40:48 -0600

One very neat feature in the mainframe version of BookManger that I have never
seen in any other product is something that, if I remember correctly, they
called 'associative links.' It was hypertext links without the need to create
the links.

The way it works is pretty simple. You could move the cursor to any word on the
screen and hit the Enter key. If that word appeared in a heading, an index
entry, or a couple of other structures, command syntax definitions and glossary
terms being two that I remember, then a list box would pop up displaying those
links. Obviously of little value if the word is common, but for uncommon words,
enormously useful. You as a reader got the benefit of hypertext w/o you as a
writer having to decide for the reader when a word should link to something and
when it shouldn't.

I wish we saw that sort of capability in more products!

Best,

/chet

Chet Ensign
Logical Design Solutions
571 Central Avenue http://www.lds.com
Murray Hill, NJ 07974 censign -at- lds -dot- com [email]
908-771-9221 [Phone] 908-771-0430 [FAX]