Re: Certification

Subject: Re: Certification
From: Emily Skarzenski <eskarzenski -at- DTTUS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 10:44:26 CST

> Just a thought ... does anyone on the list report/work under
> marketing or sales management instead of technical development? I
> would think marketing would place more importance on good
> documentation, if nothing else as a sales tool.
> Does anyone have any input that might prove/disprove that?

I worked under Marketing in my last job.

It's true that Marketing does indeed value good documentation more
than Development. However, it was also true in this company (a
software vendor) that Marketing was considered "overhead." Development
wasn't. So, when the project schedule went wild, Development was
easily able to justify new hires. Marketing wasn't.

Personally, I prefer being underappreciated to doing the work of three
writers.

Emily M. Skarzenski
Deloitte & Touche/ICS - Chadds Ford, PA
eskarzenski -at- dttus -dot- com