Re: Cubicle Sweet Cubicle (was: Workplace Discrimination)

Subject: Re: Cubicle Sweet Cubicle (was: Workplace Discrimination)
From: John Posada <jposada -at- NOTES -dot- CC -dot- BELLCORE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 15:59:55 -0500

On Mon, 25 Mar 1996 16:10:33 +-100, David Somers wrote:
>Of course, the other kind of discrimination is the workplace itself. I do
>not work in open plan. Period. I've done it a few times, and never again...

Ditto here!
I have turned down jobs that sat me in the depths of cubicle hell.
My new home office is quiet and only two cats distract me if I
absent-mindedly leave the door open. I can't think in a noisy beige
workspace.

>Give me a nice office
>with one or two other people, a fast 'puter, a nice non-click keyboard, the
>hydroponic plant set, and a nearby caffeine source.

My only alteration to the above Dream Job: add a door to that office
to keep out hallway chat.

>Do other people on the list find that the working environment
>has an effect on their working 'happiness' (read 'productivity')?

You guys have described the office where I work...

One "roomie"
A 133 pentium with "lots" of toys on it.
A coffee pot across the hall
A CD player in my office
Several plants
My Dilbert and Ratbert stuffed animals
A door
A window
A boss on a 3 week vacation
A job a really like
A pay scale more than I even think I'm worth (and I think I'm hot-shit)

Life is good

John Posada
Technical Writer
Bell Communications Research, Piscataway, NJ
(908) 699-5839 (W)
jposada -at- notes -dot- cc -dot- bellcore -dot- com (W)
I don't speak for my employer and they return the favor