Re: PTF Doc

Subject: Re: PTF Doc
From: Ian Macdonald <imacd -at- PC -dot- JARING -dot- MY>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 08:59:23 -0500

At 08:23 AM 2/4/96 EST, Vici Koster-Lenhardt wrote:
>The company I work for is considering sending out program temporary fixes
(PTFs)
>and related documentation between releases. THe PTFs would include new features
>as well as error corrections. I've done this once and it was a minor nightmare.
>Has anyone had any experience with this? What level of documentation did you
>send out? What problems did you experience? What solutions did you find? What
>did the customers think of your solutions? I'd appreciate any information you'd
>be willing to share. Thanks.

>Victoria Koster-Lenhardt
>100633,3434 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Assuming that there are also planned releases to consolidate the PTFs, I
would suggest the following:

For PTFs
1. Document fixes in release notes
2. Document new features in the release notes

For scheduled release:
3. Incorporate fixes and new features into documentation for
"scheduled" release.

I have used this method in the past and was well received by customers, and
allowed me to keep track of *all* changes in the software. The developers
had to sign-off on release notes.

Ian Macdonald Tel: +03 452 7553
WriTech Fax: +03 453 2910
Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia e-mail: imacd -at- pc -dot- jaring -dot- my