Re. Bending rules

Subject: Re. Bending rules
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 13:29:08 -0500

I think we've somewhat misinterpreted the original posting,
here. "Bending the rules" doesn't necessarily have anything
to do with breaking laws, ethical or legal; what I
understood was that (for example) if there's a five-step
process to achieving a particular goal, you may have to
skip one or two steps under time or resource pressures.

In editing, we call this "levels of edit", and yes, it can
compromise quality; in emergency medicine, they call it
triage. You learn to live with it. The goal is to do the
best you can on behalf of your audience, and to do better
next time.