Re: A Preponderance of Females

Subject: Re: A Preponderance of Females
From: Ruth Glaser <ruthg -at- GORETEK -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 09:37:56 -0500

My .02:

According to the STC 1995 Salary Survey, "The 'Gender Gap' is determined by
expressing women's median salaries as a percent of men's median salaries. It
is significant to note that, over the last ten years, the U.S. 'Gender Gap'
in the technical communication profession has decreased from 19% to 4.5%
--an improvement of 14.5%. (For this survey, U.S. median salaries wer
$42,000 for men and $40,100 for women; Canadian median salaries were $47,835
for men and $42,400 for women.)"

INHO, the best thing we all (men and women) can do to improve our lot is

a.) educate ourselves
b.) _demonstrate_ our value
c.) don't settle for less than we deserve

Very easy answers to a complex question, but I don't want to bore you with
my long, drawn out opinions. Besides, I've got to go _demonstrate_ my value
(AKA edit a manual...)

Cheers,

Ruth

--
Ruth T. Glaser e-mail: ruthg -at- goretek -dot- com
Goretek Data Systems, Inc. Phone: (612) 639-5043