Re: A Preponderance of Females

Subject: Re: A Preponderance of Females
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 10:04:36 -0700

At 07:13 AM 4/12/96 -0400, Win Day wrote:
>At 11:48 AM 4/11/96 -0700, Susan W. Gallagher wrote:

><SNIP>
>>* Writers who lag behind the changes in technology cannot demand
>> high salaries. Writers who have not had the opportunity, or
>> taken the initiative, to learn to write for online, for example,
>> find their job selection limited and their salaries low.
>>

>Spoken like a true software documenter!

Guilty as charged, Win. My outlook is definitely influenced by
my industry.

>I haven't learned how to write online yet. I don't write for the software
>industry, I write about refineries, and chemical plants, and process
>control, and engineering in general.

>I earn more per hour than I EVER did as an engineer, get more respect, and
>have more control. I have more work right now than I can handle, and just
>had to turn down a large contract because I simply didn't have the time (and
>yes, I referred it to my local STC job bank!).

Granted, online techniques may not be a significant trend in your
end of the profession, but I'll wager that you keep up with the
current trends and changes in chemical engineering and process control!

My point is, those who rest on their laurels, so to speak, by not
keeping up with the new stuff in their area of expertise, suffer
in the job market.

-Sue
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com