Over-reliance of graphics/ was Re: Nonstandard HTML

Subject: Over-reliance of graphics/ was Re: Nonstandard HTML
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 16:07:25 -0500

Your friend and mine, Matt, wrote:

>Hey, if you wanna make your page ultra-fancy and viewable by only a
>small portion of the population, go right ahead... but if you're a
>business trying to support and/or attract customers, you MUST cater to
>the lowest (or at least second-lowest) common denominator, no?

This reminds me of one of my Web pet-peeves: over-reliance of graphics.
I like to use graphics to enhance but text to convey information.

One of my sister companies has a page that gives you *NO* information
when the graphics are turned off or until they load if you have a slow
connection. All the links are in the image map. Folks with images off
or with a slow link will probably not gain much from their site!
< http://www.directnet.com/united/UnitedStaffing.html >
BTW, I tried to offer some advice, but I don't think they heard me.
They say their site won some award.

LaVonna F. Funkhouser, COREComm
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com (work)
http://www.corecomm.com/corecomm/
~~~~~~~America Remembers: April 19, 1995; 9:02 a.m.~~~~~~~

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net