Re: Query: Should students be assigned writing Web pages?

Subject: Re: Query: Should students be assigned writing Web pages?
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 16:15:37 -0500

>What are your opinions/experiences on the following:

>*How valuable do you think it is to learn to write Web pages in an
>undergraduate introductory technical communication course?

This would be a quite valuable assignment, and I have a very
practical reason for saying this. I am (right now) trying to help
hire someone with HTML skills. Very few unemployed or contract technical
writers in this area of the country (the job is in Houston) have written
web pages. The applicant I like best learned HTML as an assignment
in a technical writing/English dept. course. Six months from now, everyone
will have this on their resume but not at the moment.

>*Do you think that the writing skills that one uses in creating a Web page
>transfer to other kinds of writing that a person might do on the job?

Yes, especially the following: concise writing; wowing the reader with
design vs. conveying information; audience analysis.

>*Have you ever written Web pages in connection with your work?

Yes, both for intranets and the Internet.

LaVonna F. Funkhouser, COREComm
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com (work)
http://www.corecomm.com/corecomm/
~~~~~~~America Remembers: April 19, 1995; 9:02 a.m.~~~~~~~

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net