2.1.2.3

Subject: 2.1.2.3
From: David Ibbetson <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 11:33:09 -0400

Bill Blinn writes

>I agree that documents with section numbering seem more complicated than they
>are--especially if you've never seen such a scheme before.

I first met this style numbering as a teen-ager in a maths [OK I'm English]
text book written by the master who was teaching us. Several of us
commented, but we found that it made reference to the book easy, and I've
liked it ever since.

Somebody mentioned the usefulness of paragraph numbers in referring to
errors in the book/manual/ whatever. But Technical Writers _always get
correct information_ and _never make errors_!

It's useful for referring colleagues (and helpees at the other end of a help
line) to particular paragraphs. It's only a development of the numbering of
Bible verses, with which most of us, and most of our audience, are familiar.

"Many terms which have now dropped out of favour will be revived, and those
that are at present respectable will drop out, if usage so choose, with whom
lies the decision, the judgement, and the rule of speech" -- Horace, _Ars
Poetica_

David Ibbetson, 133 Wilton St, #506, Toronto, M5A 4A4
ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com (416)363-6692 fax (416)363-4987
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net