Re: Nonstandard HTML

Subject: Re: Nonstandard HTML
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 12:46:02 -0500

Matt writes:

> Maybe Richard Dimock was right and Acrobat IS the way to go - one major
> advantage of Acrobat over HTML is that it IS a standard of sorts, owned
> by Adobe and not open to tampering in this way.

Except by Adobe, of course, who could throw us the same sort of curve ball that
MS has thrown at WinHelp. "Well, we know you all have 1 billion dollars
invested in your current Acrobat content, but we've decided to do things
completely differently starting next year."

My biggest problem with Acrobat-style solutions is that they are fixed page
images. And one of the really powerful possibilities that I'm starting to play
around with is dynamically composed content. HTML generated on the fly out of a
database of possible contents and a profile of the user. Fixed binary images of
pages can never deliver that kind of power.

Best regards,

/chet

Chet Ensign
Logical Design Solutions
465 South Street http://www.lds.com
Morristown, NJ 07960 censign -at- lds -dot- com [email]
201-971-0100 [Phone] 201-971-0103 [FAX]

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net