Italics, anyone?

Subject: Italics, anyone?
From: Newton Vasconcellos <mendv -at- AX -dot- APC -dot- ORG>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 07:31:15 -0300

>>italics, particularly readers whose native language does not use the
>>Roman alphabet?

Hi, all:

In using foreign words in a text, there is a rule that the term should be
italicized.

Now, I don't know how this begun, but it is common practice in Brazil. Just
to point out that a word is not in the native language.

Now, this is a confortable way to point out foreign usage. I, for one, would
certainly hate to have to omit italics in such situations.

If the original inquirer is interested, I could pass this subject on to the
translator's list. They most probably would have more info on this.

Cheers

Newton D. Vasconcellos
mendv -at- ax -dot- apc -dot- org
Rio de Janeiro