Re: Master Document in MS Word 6.0

Subject: Re: Master Document in MS Word 6.0
From: Kent Newton <kentn -at- METRIX-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 19:24:00 PDT

On Thursday, May 02, 1996 8:11 PM, TECHWR-L wrote:
>Hello,

>I just upgraded from RoboHelp 2.0 to RoboHelp 3.0. I also deleted MS
Word
>2.0a which I also had on the system to work with RoboHelp 2.0.

>I don't know if this is the cause of the problems I now have with MS
Word
>6.0, but here is what I am experiencing with Word 6.0.

>I am using Master document do do a sizable manual (~200 pages) with ~ 10
>sections. Everything was going fine until I upgraded RoboHelp and
deleted MS
>Word 2.0.

>Now, when I use Save As to save the master document file, all the
>subdocument files are saved as renamed .DOT files instead of the
opriginal
>.DOC files. Also, at times the operation terminates with out of memory
>messages.

>>As far as the memory problems, I have been having those all along and
have
>hads to get out of word and restart it. I have 16 meg of memory and
adequate
>disk space on my machine.

>I am curious about the sudden development of MS Word saving .DOT
subdocument
>files. That has never happened to me before and I've used Master
document
>feature on several projects.

>Can anyone give me some pointers to help me isolate and correct this
problem.

>Thanx, GeoB

>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Post Message: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
>Get Commands: LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU with "help" in body.
>Unsubscribe: LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU with "signoff TECHWR-L"
>Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net

It sounds like you may be a victim of the Word Prank virus, which causes
Word to save all documents as templates. Microsoft has developed a
program to correct this for you. It's called scan831.doc and here is the
information on how to get the file:

>This file, Scan831.doc, is included with a Microsoft Application Note
titled "Prank Macros: Cleanup and >Prevention." For Word running on
Windows platforms, the Application Note number is WD1215. For Word for
>the Macintosh, the Application Note number is MW1222. You can obtain
this Application Note from the >following sources:

CompuServe, Genie, and Microsoft Partner Network (MSPN)
Microsoft Download service(MSDL)
The Internet (Microsoft anonymous ftp server)
Microsoft FastTips technical Library
Microsoft Product Support Services

I hope that solves your problem.

Oh, yeah: The file limits for master documents as described in the Word
documentation is wrong. I suggest you call Microsoft for updated
information if your file is very large.

Kent Newton
Senior Technical Writer
Metrix, Inc.