Re: How are you putting your docs online?

Subject: Re: How are you putting your docs online?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 17:25:06 -0700

hhlk wrote:
>I would be interested in hearing how people are putting the user guides
>online for CD ROM distribution and on the Web.

>I have a client that has asked me to come up with a plan. Presently, I
>am considering Adobe Acrobat for putting the guides on a CD ROM, and
>HTML authoring for putting product updates and readme files on the Web.

>My problem is that I don't know too many people that have successfully
>accomplished either of these tasks.

You didn't mention your target platform, so I'm not sure what of
this will apply to your situation.

In my previous life, the (subject) software ran on Windows NT and
Windows 95 only, so I stuck with the native help engine and used
WinHelp 4.0 for the book -- creating a .cnt file for the collapsing
book's TOC, bringing the paper book's index over almost entry-for-entry,
and doing some small amounts of text manipulation (mostly of transitional
paragraphs) to create main window subject topics with secondary window
examples and procedures. I also generated all the files necessary to
implement the full-text search feature and included them on the CD-ROM.
I left the company shortly before the software was actually released,
but my contacts there say it was well-received.

When I started at my new position, I looked at Acrobat for cross-platform
online books, but Adobe doesn't support as many UNIX platforms as we do,
so I'll be going with WinHelp 4.0 for Windows NT and 95 and using Bristol
Technologies HyperHelp for the UNIX platforms (the software is still
on-order).

Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com
-- The _Guide_ is definitive.