Re: Philosophy: the Aim of Technical Comms?

Subject: Re: Philosophy: the Aim of Technical Comms?
From: DAVID IBBETSON <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 20:29:15 -0400

Chuck Blessing writes:
>Giving users just what they want rather than what they really need is a common
>trap that software development falls into when writing requirements. The
>argument for this is that "we are customer oriented." Requirements then become
>the verbatim requests of the customer.

In the dim and distant days when I was technical sales support I would
frequently write something like: "The RFQ asks for THIS, but the prospect
clearly needs THAT". Our sales staff would carefully prepare a lowish tender
for THIS, clearly specifying what was covered. When we got the contract the
difference between THIS and THAT would generate a profitable bill for extras.
David Ibbetson, ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com

"until the necessity of the poor and the debauchery of the rich may be
equally courted, with money for rewarding their good deeds and a halter to
recompense their bad ones, I am your very affectionate friend"
superscription to a letter by Samuel Pepys.
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net