apology to the list

Subject: apology to the list
From: Michael Cargal <michael -at- NANMCKAY -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 08:02:11 -0700

Oscar Wilde said that a gentleman is one who never insults anyone accidentally.
I've been getting a lot of spam lately, advertising emails promising
"$$$MAKE CASH FAST$$$" and other smarmy come-ons. I usually just delete them
or reply, "Please take me off this mailing list." I just subscribed to this
list at work, and I hadn't yet set up a filter for it, so the day's mail was
dropped into my regular mailbox, and when I saw, "Hi guys, here's where to
buy your video on reading," I didn't notice the header, and the
spam-receptors in my cortex went off. I also have a 5-year-old learning to
read, and I'm on my local elementary school district's committee evaluating
their reading and writing instruction program, and I have some views on
teaching reading. I replied rudely, and I inadvertently insulted someone who
was only trying to help a friend find a resource. I am very sorry for that,
and I apologize to that person. All I can offer is that I thought I was
being snotty to a different person. You seem like nice folks, and I wouldn't
want to introduce that tone into the proceedings.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net