Re: WordPerfect/Word Conversion

Subject: Re: WordPerfect/Word Conversion
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 09:02:11 HST

Michael Cargal wrote:
>Word has a utility called wpconv.exe (available from www.microsoft.com) that
is supposed to covert WP files to Word, but it doesn't work.<
That's funny -- works fine for me (WPWIN6.0a to Word6). Maybe you're dealing
with WPWIN6.1 files? Also, make sure you're using the same printer driver in
Word as you were in WP. If you were using a WP printer driver, open the doc in
WP, change to the Windows printer driver, and resave the doc.
Also, the Word filters are *import* only - they do not export to WPWIN6
format (I consider that *not* working, but that seems to be MS's view of the
universe). (As I studiously avoid getting into any Word vs WP debates -- I
never discuss religion or politics <G>!) The Word filter even includes TT fonts
that match the WPWIN extra character sets.
>When I looked, WP didn't have one either, but this was some time ago.<
Look again -- www.novell.com has a file called CVWW6X.EXE that contains
import/export filters for Word6 files. They're designed for WPWIN6.1, but they
work fine for me in WPWIN6.0a. Note: the WPWIN filter doesn't currently
recognize Word7 files as Word6, even though MS says that the file formats are
the same.
>We run into this all the time, so there are certain files we keep in WP 5.1,
because both WP6 and
Word6 can read it.<
The only time I do that now is if I need to pull it into a DTP package. Some
of them are woefully behind the times when it comes to importing wordprocessing
files ...

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com
Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate

DISCLAIMER:
"I do not speak for my employer, my computer, or any other living thing."

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net