Re: Names for mouse buttons

Subject: Re: Names for mouse buttons
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 09:13:38 HST

To: TECHWR-L @ LISTSERV.OKSTATE.EDU (Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L) @
Internet
cc: (bcc: David Jones/KSBEISD)
From: Sharon_Rosenthal @ MANU.COM (Sharon Rosenthal/MANUGISTICS)
>Even primary, middle, and secondary didn't make that much sense because of
OS/2's use of the right mouse button.<
Ummm, connected with OS/2 -- IBM's OS/2 documentation refers to them as
Mouse Button 1 (MB1) and Mouse Button 2 (MB2). Makes sense to me, especially if
you drop out the "Mouse" reference (I use a graphics tablet with tip and barrel
buttons ... )
BTW, W95 imitates OS/2 use of the MB2, so this is pertinent outside of OS/2.

>Button 1 and button 2 is logical. It may be what we end up using. But do you
think that left-handed people would object to the left button being button 1 if
it is not their primary button?<
Others have addressed that issue. To me, left and right are simple
directions, easily understood because they are relative to the user's body.
When you put a layer of abstraction between the user and a simple physical
perception, I think you're making it harder to understand.

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com
Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate

DISCLAIMER:
"I do not speak for my employer, my computer, or any other living thing."

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net