Re: HTML

Subject: Re: HTML
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 08:29:00 -0500

Arlen quotes Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of HTML as saying:

> Q: If you could do HTML all over again, would you do it differently?
> A: Definitely. I would not use SGML syntax. It would be a nested set of
> objects, more like NextStep or Andrew objects, extendable by downloadable
> code. Then again, that would never have taken off in the community.

That's an interesting comment. And I have to agree with Tim's final sentence.
The Web would never have taken off had HTML been some sort of object code. Of
course, Tim's life would probably be lots easier if it hadn't. And perhaps
that's what he means. ;->

Best,

/chet

Chet Ensign
Logical Design Solutions
465 South Street http://www.lds.com
Morristown, NJ 07960 censign -at- lds -dot- com [email]
201-971-0100 [Phone] 201-971-0103 [FAX]

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net