Prepend Redux

Subject: Prepend Redux
From: Charles Cantrell <chc -at- ONTARIO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 08:45:24 -0500

It has been interesting to see how many of us have responded to this issue.

Prepend does have a meaning, and it is perfectly useful, but it does not
mean the way it sounds. I fired off a message, after only partially
checking my resources, with an error echoed by others on the group.

However, thank you to Greg Taggart who wrote me to correct my error:

>Yes, it's in Webster's 3rd New International Dictionary and the
>definition is "consider, premeditate (make a joke with malice)."

Whoops! I guess the joke is on me. I just hope no malice. That's what I get
for checking just existence and not meaning.

So, anyway, the answer to any writer who wants to use "prepend" as an
action adding an object to the front of a list, is: "That is not what that
word means!"

Never again will I try to "prepend" to a list.

(However, I still agree with Janet Valade's sentiment. ;-)

Charles Cantrell
chc -at- ontario -dot- com

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net