Re: Frame to RoboHELP

Subject: Re: Frame to RoboHELP
From: Ron Rothbart <ron -dot- rothbart -at- DOCUMENTUM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 09:41:12 +0800

Beverly wrote:

>I am totally new to online help, RoboHELP, and this list. My company using
>FrameMaker.

I suggest you subscribe to the WinHelp mailing list and send questions about
online Help to that list. I find it very helpful. You should specify
version, i.e. RoboHelp 3.0 or RoboHelp 95, etc. My guess is that you're
using Frame 5, RoboHelp 95, and Word 7.

HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Address: listserv -at- Admin -dot- HumberC -dot- ON -dot- CA
Message: sub Winhlp-L Your Name

for example:

sub Winhlp-L Sigmund Freud

HOW TO RECEIVE MAIL AS A SINGLE ENOTE DIGEST
Address: listserv -at- Admin -dot- HumberC -dot- ON -dot- CA
Message: set winhlp-L digestsDate:

>I Converted a Frame .RTF. and then opened the .RTF file in Word/RoboHELP
>and noticed that all the Frame paragraph styles appeared in Word/RoboHELP
>...will all the extra Frame styles cause problems in Word/RoboHELP and
>if so what is the best way to eliminate them (in Frame or Word) and then use
>the default RoboHELP styles?

This behavior is normal. I do a bunch of cleanup and some editing to the RTF
in MS Word before I start RoboHelp. I don't think the styles will cause any
serious problems, but I eliminate the Frame styles in Word because it's a
lot easier not to work with a bloated list of styles.

You can use the RoboHelp default styles, but if you have the time I suggest
making your own version of the RoboHelp templates. RoboHelp 95 tries to
emulate the Windows 95 Help styles, but they are not quite correct. For one
thing, their line-spacing is crowded. You can find the Microsoft style specs
in the MS Help Authoring Kit book. I think they're pretty good, but you can
modify them as you wish.

I found that I needed to do a lot of tweaking to the RTF to get everything
to work right in RoboHelp. If you're interested, I can send you my notes.

>Word/RoboHELP complained (I think) about not having access to the
>ROBOHELP.DOT template so I moved this template into the same directory as
>the .RTF and .HPJ files.
>Word/RoboHELP then complained about not finding a Word WRDBASIC file.

I don't think you should move the template to your project directory, but I
don't know why RoboHELP complained.

Glad to see others launched on the Frame to RoboHelp adventure! It can be
done, although like everything else in this game, there definitely are
challenges along the way.

Virtually yours,

Ron -dot- Rothbart -at- documentum -dot- com
Documentum, Inc. \\\\\\
5671 Gibraltar Drive \\\\\
Pleasanton, CA 94588-8547
(510) 463-6920 ////////