Re: It's all Gutenberg's fault... :-)

Subject: Re: It's all Gutenberg's fault... :-)
From: ROMAY SITZE <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 14:22:07 -0600

On Thu, 16 May 1996 Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM wrote:

> Just curious: Gutenberg's invention resulted in premade blocks that could be
> put together in sequence to form words, and re-used (if I recall my history
> correctly) when assembling the words for the next page.

> Did Horton mean by the comparison that illustrations would soon be composed
> the same way, by slapping together pre-drawn elements to compose a larger
> picture?

Obviously I couldn't speak for Horton; however, this is precisely what is
starting to happen. With the ability to cut and paste elements from
various clip art materials, it is quite easy to compose new illustrations
by combining pre-drawn elements. I've done this myself on a number of
occasions.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net