Re: A question about gaining technical skills.

Subject: Re: A question about gaining technical skills.
From: Grant Hogarth <grant -at- ONYXGFX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 12:25:39 -7

Paula --
for winhelp stuff, check out our ftp site.
ftp.onyxgfx.com/pub/winhelp
there are a bunch of freeware and shareware WH tools/utilities
(including HWA 2.11).

When I was in school (I went back to do my MS in TComm @ age 30)
I had PM 1.2 (or so... <g>) and word 4 for the Mac.
I got hired to do training docs using Ventura (which I'd never used)
and WP (which I'd never used).... on the PC.

What got me hired was my portfolio that showed that I knew what I was
doing in terms of output. I had user manuals (pilot's guide, tarot
manual, etc), read-me files (basically edited/revised a horrible
piece of shareware stuff), and a bunch of graphics demos that i'd
hacked. If your class isn't producing these types of things, take
what you do know, and one of your hobbies, and put together a couple
of sample docs (incl on-line) for that hobby (it doesn't matter what
the hobby is (mostly... I can think of a few that might cause
problems <g>)

Let me know if you have specific questions or want further
elucidation. (A word that should *never* appear in a finished user's
manual! <g>)

Grant

Grant Hogarth, Information Developer, Onyx Graphics Corp. Midvale, UT
grant -at- onyxgfx -dot- com WWW:http://www.onyxgfx.com FTP:ftp://ftp.onyxgfx.com
#include <std_disclaim>

"...And all this science I don't understand.
It's just my job five days a week."
--E. John/B. Taupin, "Rocket Man"

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net