What did I start? (Graphics)

Subject: What did I start? (Graphics)
From: Marni Barilone <mbarilon -at- CS -dot- UML -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 14:24:58 -0400

When I wrote that post, I was simply interested in getting feedback about
available tools. I had no idea it would start a huge discussion about
whether or not I should even be doing it.

Most of you got it right. I am the only person here. Not only do I
write, edit, illustrated, and publish, I also answer the phones and make
coffee. I work in an 8-person office. Everyone else is execs and engineers.

I too would not want my graphics reviewed by a professional illustrator. My
husband is a Computer-Aided Draftsman. He's enough of a critic, thanks.
In fact, he is the one telling me I'm using the wrong tools. If it were
not for his pressuring I wouldn't be looking for new tools. But that is
a topic for another newsgroup.

As for those of you wondering about my editing abilities after reading my
first post, let me assure you. My editing skills are much better on
professional documents. I consider this group to be more casual and
conversational. So, my grammar and spelling may lag a bit. Take it as a
compliment.

As for all of you who took the time to reply and give me personal
opinions about tools, you will be interested to know that no one product
was ranked best. I heard good things about everything including a few
products I had never heard of. I guess a lot will depend on experience.
I'll have to try a few out and see what I get. Thanks.

And to all of you who came to my defense in the "Doing your own graphics"
issue, I thank you. It's nice to be understood. It's even nicer to be
defended.

Marni Barilone Technical Writer/Editor
mbarilon -at- cs -dot- uml -dot- edu marni -at- boston -dot- research -dot- panasonic -dot- com
mbarilon -at- lynx -dot- neu -dot- edu

"Don't be buffaloed by experts. They often possess more data than
judgement." - Colin Powell

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net