Arlen's Reply to "Doing your own graphics"

Subject: Arlen's Reply to "Doing your own graphics"
From: David_Dubin -at- NOTES -dot- PW -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 14:35:48 EDT

Hear, hear. I heartily support Arlen's feelings and his viewpoint. When I got
off active duty from the Army in Germany, I had to attend an apprenticeship as
a graphic artist before I was given permission to work in Germany. Upon
completion of this apprenticeship, I received my journeyman's certification as
an "official" graphic artist and a commercial photographer. This meant that I
could work for someone else as a photographer or artist, but, because I was not
a Master, I could not open up my own graphics or photography studio. The labor
guilds were too rigid in business to allow flexibility on the part of a worker.

That's why so many talented people come to the USA. Even if they were civil
engineers in their home country, they can make a good living as a baker, as
long as their bread tastes good. It goes back to the old saying, "Those that
can, do; those that can't, make the rules for those that can."

David Dubin
This has been one man's opinion, yours may vary with mileage... or level of
competence.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net