Re: Left vs Full Justification

Subject: Re: Left vs Full Justification
From: "Parks, Beverly L." <parksb -at- HUACHUCA-EMH7 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 07:02:00 MST

Fully justified text is most effective with narrow columns, such as in
magazines and newspapers. As the column gets wider, your eyes have to
travel a longer distance; this gets tiring and monotonous. Left
justified--or ragged right--text helps you keep track of what line you're
on by not making all lines look identical. Also, from a whole-page
perspective, wide and full-page columns of fully justified text tend to
look like big gray blocks of boredom. A ragged right edge adds needed
white space and helps break up the monotony.

Bev Parks
parksb -at- huachuca-emh7 -dot- army -dot- mil

From: Pamela Metivier[SMTP:pmetivi -at- ATCWEB -dot- ATC -dot- 1DC -dot- COM]
Can anyone tell me if they have either produced a survey or seen the
results of a survey comparing left and full justification of text in
end-user
manuals? I was taught in one of my Techncial Writing classes that using
full justification was considered to be a less effective method of
presenting instruction.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net