Re: math equations, msword, and html

Subject: Re: math equations, msword, and html
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 21:04:00 EST

At 08:58 PM 5/18/96 -0400, you wrote:
> I may be starting a software manual that requires many mathematical
> equations and illustrations of geometric shapes. It seems the customer
> will want the deliverable in msword, which they want to convert to html
> with Internet Assistant.

> So my concerns start here,

> 1. I am having trouble with word's equation editor. Many of the
>symbols (sum of, integration,...) are coming out as capital
>letters with carets. I figure it must be a font thing. But
>in your opinion, is msword with equation editor suitable for
>complex mathematical formulae and the like?

According to Bill Gates, yes. According to me, no. Er, I mean Heck No!
Word's editor has never been good for anything other than memos.

> 2. I must wind up with a word compatible document (there may be
>room for coaxing the client into utilizing another format),
>and I am just starting to look at html math. This manual
>will be internal, and the html viewable on intranet
>browsers.

> I have access to, but am inexeperienced in, Framemaker 5. I hear it
>does nice math equations.

I'd recommend highly, mucho, lotsa that you convince the client to move to
Frame. Frame's equations editor is first-rate, and with a conversion tool
like WebMaker the equations become graphics and they convert flawlessly to
the Web. Word is outclassed badly in this arena, despite Microsoft's claims
to the contrary.

> Any feedback appreciated, thanks.
>Raymond Chenier, Technical Writer; Electronics Background; Inventor.
>rchenier -at- synapse -dot- net
>writer -at- synapse -dot- net
>rchenier -at- inasec -dot- ca
>http://www.synapse.net/~writer
>"640 K ought to be enough for anyone." -- Bill Gates, 1981

>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Post Message: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
>Get Commands: LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU with "help" in body.
>Unsubscribe: LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU with "signoff TECHWR-L"
>Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net

Tim Altom
Vice President, Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882 (voice) 317.899.5987 (fax)
FrameMaker support ForeHelp support

Makers of DuoFrame, giving you online help and paper
documentation from a single parent FrameMaker document.

http://www.iquest.net/simply/simplywritten

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net