Re: Cost of Documentation

Subject: Re: Cost of Documentation
From: Mike Bygrave <bygravem -at- INTUITIVE -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 16:40:13 +-100

>(2) As a tool for decreasing support calls. Again, my evidence is
>totally anecdotal, but our support people have mentioned that calls =
have
>decreased since our complete doc set has been released.

Not only can good documentation reduce the number of support calls, it =
can (and almost certainly will) reduce the length of most of those =
calls, as users who haven't consulted their handbooks get politely =
directed towards the relevant section of the manual. This then releases =
user support staff to deal with the more complex problems and queries. =
And what is the overall result of this? - lots of happy punters who are =
desperate to spend all of their hard-earned cash with such a reliable =
and helpful company - that's the theory anyway ;-)

Mike Bygrave (bygravem -at- intuitive -dot- co -dot- uk)
Technical Author - Intuitive Systems Ltd.
http://www.intuitive.co.uk
"1966 was a great year for English football - Cantona was born."

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net