Re: Subject matter experience

Subject: Re: Subject matter experience
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 15:13:54 HST

In three TW jobs out here, I have written documentation for comprehensive
financial accounting systems. In one case, this included documenting
departmental procedures used with the system.

I have no education or training in accounting, but I was able to learn enough
to understand what the SME's and programmers were talking about, and ask the
right questions to get the information I needed. I still don't claim to know
accounting (just ask my wife)!

So I'm not sure. It would depend very much on how much specialized knowledge is
needed, and how tight the deadlines are, and (possibly) how
cooperative/arrogant the SME's are. I've known some techies with whom I
wouldn't want to do *any* documentation work!

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com
Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate

DISCLAIMER:
"I do not speak for my employer, my computer, or any other living thing."

To: TECHWR-L @ LISTSERV.OKSTATE.EDU (Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L) @
Internet
cc: (bcc: David Jones/KSBEISD)
From: yvonne @ SILCOM.COM (Yvonne DeGraw) @ Internet @ DATAHUB
Date: 05/22/96 10:35:06 AM

Faith Weber <weber -at- easi -dot- com> asked:
>Let me open another can of worms. What degree of subject
>matter experience do you think is needed for a writer on a
>particular job?

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net