Re: Management of Web pages

Subject: Re: Management of Web pages
From: Nancy Hoft <nhoft -at- WORLD-READY -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 08:01:21 +0000

While there now are commercial products that help with this, back in
1994 when I was creating a large Web site I used the same tool that
the software engineers used to manage code: Source Code Control
System (SCCS). It's a fairly standard code management tool and I
believe that it has various flavors for different computing
platforms. However, any code-management tool will work fine.
It seems to work pretty well in large-system development environments.
Software engineers often manage as many if not more files than
those of us creating large Web sites.

Some features of code-management tools include keeping histories,
comparing versions of the files, showing hierarchical relationships
in a directory structure, and permissions management. In environments
where you are one of a team of web authors, it's a good idea to use
a permissions-control tool that forces you to check in and check out
files, plus add comments that describe any modifications you make.

The other recommendation I have is that managing lots of files
requires a well-thought-out directory structure and good filenaming
conventions. You can never spend enough time thinking about these
things.

- Nancy Hoft
Coauthor, The Web Page Design Cookbook (Wiley, 1996)
N A N C Y H O F T
WORLD READY
http://www.world-ready.com/
RR2 Box 493 Moran Road
Temple, NH USA 03084-9761 USA
+1 603.878.4540 (voice) +1 603.878.0508 (fax)

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net