Re: html generation

Subject: Re: html generation
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 14:35:56 -0700

Virginia Lawrence says...

>Until recently, many web page authors insisted that writing html by
>hand was the only way.

Actually, what I maintained was that writing HTML by hand was the
_best_ way - not the only way (I obviously can't speak for other
authors). Early DTP --> HTML converters didn't do all the processing,
so you had to edit by hand anyway.

>However, html 3 is much more complex than the earlier versions

True. But (IMHO) HTML 3.0 is not completely downwardly compatible.
So it may be too soon to tell if it'll take off or not.

>and readers expect a lot from web pages. I find it helpful to use
>an authoring tool.

I should probably try this next generation and see if I prefer them
to doing stuff by hand. The problem I'm running into now is that
Web pages are mixing source code (Perl or Java) with HTML. So
unless the converter includes a Java compiler, I'm back to writing
stuff by hand.

I'm guessing that a DTP --> HTML converter will eventually be
replaced by "Internet Publishers". And, except for really high
end stuff, that's probably about 1 generation away...

David (The Unbiased) Blyth
Technical Writer & Web Site Designer
Qualcomm

The usual disclaimers apply - QUALCOMM isn't that crazy.

Blodo Poa Maximus
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net