vice versa, functionality

Subject: vice versa, functionality
From: DAVID IBBETSON <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 22:02:11 -0400

Matt Wisley asks:
>Can anyone school me in the use of vice versa, whether I'm spelling it
>correctly, and whether it is considered kosher to use in documentation?

Yes, the spelling is vica versa, but it's not fully anglicised and I'd put
it in italics. What proportion of your intended audience will understand it?
0304030403405345345656857-65567-2
FUNCTIONALITY
Robert Plamondon writes:
>>Forgive me (my OED is at home), but when was the last time the OED and its
>>Supplement were updated? I find the OED great for the history of a word, but
>>not that useful when it comes to modern usage or recent words.

>If an utterance isn't a word unless it's in the OED, then it's obviously
>impossible to add new words to the OED. This may come as quite a shock
>to the people who are so busily compiling definitions for the next edition.

The OED is being continuously updated. Unfortunately I haven't run into
anybody who's got an account with the group at University of Waterloo who is
collecting and collating the information. You have to pay real money, but
you get not only more up-to-date info, but also many more
quotations.----They have on disc all the quotations received, not just the
ones that made it to the dictionary. (The printed dictionary is limited to
one quotation per sense per century.)

The next edition is planned to be only on CD-ROM (Successors Ltd). At the
present rate of change it, or Edition 4, at the latest will be only on line.

David (the idiot) Ibbetson
David Ibbetson ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com
133 Wilton Street #506 Phone (416) 363-6692
Canada M5A 4A4 Fax (416) 363-4987

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net