CHAT: Correcting the dictionary, cut and paste

Subject: CHAT: Correcting the dictionary, cut and paste
From: DAVID IBBETSON <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 22:02:09 -0400

My grandfather (an immigrant to England at the age of 7 or 8) several times
reminded me that dictionaries recorded what he said!

Grammarians may be prescriptive.
Dictionaries should be descriptive. ("They order these things differently in
France".)
Schoolteachers should remember "those who can do, those who can't teach".
The pupil who disagrees with the teacher may be quoting a parent who is a
world expert on the subject in question.
-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0
CUT AND PASTE

When PageMaker decides on two printing attempts to print different paras in
Courier, I've been known to cut and paste. A few weeks back when my computer
went on strike (a corrupt file) I had to finish the newsletter on a machine
with a dot matrix printer. I pasted in some illustrations to make it more
acceptable. I use a roller rather than a burnisher and get adequate results.

When I started producing the newsletter I used FancyFont on an Osborne to
produce columns of type that I then cut and pasted onto predesigned master
sheets. Before that (c. 1975) I produced another newsletter on a
typewriter. again much cut and paste.

David (the idiot) Ibbetson

David Ibbetson, Ontario, Canada ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com

Call no man happy before he dies, he is at best but fortunate.
Solon, quoted in Herodotus, Histories bk1 ch 32.
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net