Need help - System documentation

Subject: Need help - System documentation
From: Emily Skarzenski <71220 -dot- 341 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 14:43:27 EDT

I need some expert advice from the software-techie-types out there.

My company is contemplating looking for an investor for a client-server product
that we have been developing for a while. Our management has given my entire
project group (programmers, testers, presales people, and writers) the job of
creating system documentation that potential partners could use to evaluate our
system to determine if they would be interested in investing in it. We haven't
been given much further direction, and probably won't be.

My boss and me -- the writers -- have been put in charge of this effort. Neither
he nor I have ever developed this kind of documentation. (I have done technical
system overviews, but nothing this exhaustive.) Setting aside the legal issues
of confidentiality (which will be our lawyers' job to handle), what kind of
information should this document contain? What shouldn't it contain, if
anything?

Suggestions and war stories are deeply appreciated.

Emily Skarzenski
71220 -dot- 341 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net