organizing files

Subject: organizing files
From: Miki Magyar <miki -dot- d -dot- magyar -at- BANGATE1 -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 11:54:01 MDT

Tiffany Haley (thaley -at- sctcorp -dot- com) writes:
> Being the only documentation person here I am finding myself the
recipient of loads of valuable documentation that should be organized and
saved.
. . .
> Does anyone know of some software or shareware that helps to
organize/index files/documents on the PC platform?

I use a nifty file manager program called XTree (comes in DOS and Windows
flavors) to move, copy, back up, print out catalogs, and rename files and
directories. HOWEVER!! any database program (which is what you're talking
about - the database being all your files) is only as good as the planning
behind the sorting. In other words, if you're disorganized, no software in
the world can save you. You have to have the concepts and mental maps of
what you want where before you can use the tool. James Owens' suggestions
are an excellent start, but only you can know what information is going to
be needed by whom, and for what. Start there. Good luck!

Miki
The (entire) Documentation Department

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net