Re: Indexing E. documents

Subject: Re: Indexing E. documents
From: "Susan Self @ignite" <susan -at- ALSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 12:23:14 PDT

Lori Lathrop asked David Blyth and myself:

>Are you interested *only* in a Unix platform for indexing electronic
>documents? Okay ... I admit, I have another dumb question; this one is
>about your definition of "electronic documents": Are you concerned
>about indexing HTML documents for Web sites, or are you also interested
>in indexing documents delivered on CD-ROM?

My audience is using the product on a UNIX platform, so I cannot assume
they would want to switch to Windows to read the documents online when
they have hard copy, too. I am delivering the same documents in HTML format
on CD-ROM, which customers may or may not load off into a permanent disk
space for reference. If accessing an online index is cumbersome, the users
are likely to prefer searching the hard copy document first. Of course,
a site may not have hard copy documents for everyone, so the online
documents may be necessary for some people.

Regardless of platform differences, Lori's approach still doesn't seem to
address the problem of leafing through a large online index in HTML
format. Just because you have an index doesn't mean that anyone wants
to take the time to use it.

>Another suggestion: Why not post your indexing questions on INDEX-L? To
>subscribe, send a message to

> LISTSERV -at- bingvmb -dot- cc -dot- binghamton -dot- edu

How much traffic does this list have? I don't have time for yet another
list with petty squabbles over details not central to my work.

Susan Self
susan -at- thomsoft -dot- com

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net