Re: doc to help theory

Subject: Re: doc to help theory
From: Sue Heim <sue -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 08:29:24 PST

Virginia Lawrence informed us:
> RoboHelp compiles rather quickly on a Pentium, so that you can
> compile, see the errors, fix, compile again. In contrast, I read on
> a CompuServe forum that a help file taking 5 minutes to compile with
> RoboHelp will take 8 hours with Doc-to_Help. No thanks.

That's not true at all... huge help files that I've created using D2H
compile in about 5-10 minutes (that's on a Pentium, also).

> With RoboHelp, I need only 1-2 days to convert a completed 200 page
> manual to Windows help, setting up context-sensitive screens, but
> not fields. That includes about 220 topics, some hot graphic
> buttons, and a decent index. Otherwise, nothing fancy. RoboHelp is
> great.

RoboHelp is great, but D2H is good also. It depends on what you are
doing and where you are going. If, in fact, you are going to
single-source your doc and rtf files, then using D2H is smarter and
easier (and yes, you can still maintain your help and doc files
separately -- I do, since what's written may not necessarily go
online).

It all depends on what you want to do. Again, here we can get into a
"tools" argument, which likely would be as productive as comparing
Macs and PCs (so, of course, let's not). <grin>

...sue
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Carlsbad, California USA
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net