Mentoring in the Workplace

Subject: Mentoring in the Workplace
From: Bill Burns <wburns -at- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 11:28:35 -0600

I'm writing a proposal for a technical communications
mentoring program to help production and technical employees
in my department develop the writing, editing, design, and
computer skills necessary for entry-level positions in
technical writing. I have four questions for the list.

1. Have any of you in TECHWR-L land developed
such a program for your company?

2. What suggestions would you make for the applicants'
participation requirements?

3. What skills do you feel would be essential to emphasize
for an entry-level position (aside from the requisite
writing skills and grammar knowledge)?

4. What suggestions would you make for completion requirements
(such as time length of mentoring, development of a major project,
assessment of progress)?

Many of the people in my department who have expressed interest in such a
program have four-year degrees in various nontechnical subjects. Others simply
have solid writing skills and are looking for a career beyond the production
floor that does not involve supervision. I feel the need to provide more than
the technical writing course offered by corporate training (for which our
department still has to pay), and I especially want to develop a pool of
qualified internal candidates for technical writing positions.

Thanks,
Bill Burns
Assembly Training and Documentation Supervisor
WBURNS -at- MICRON -dot- COM

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net