Re: Programming Tools -- How Prevalent Are They? (#907647)

Subject: Re: Programming Tools -- How Prevalent Are They? (#907647)
From: Bill Burns <wburns -at- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 08:59:15 -0600

31-MAY-1996 06:09:57.97

John writes:

>I recently saw an employment ad for a Technical Writer in the Boston Globe,
>from a compamy that develops Internet courseware. The ad sought candidates
>with experience using Visual Basic, Lotus Notes, Perl, and C/C++
>programming. Writing ability was not cited as a requisite skill.

>This prompts a question: How prevalent is the use of programming tools --
>such as Visual Basic, Perl, Java, C/C++ -- among us folks that call
>ourselves "technical writers?" Specifically, do many of you folks use tools
>such as these on a regular basis, as part of their work?

We're dabbling in Java, JavaScript, and C++ here, but it's being driven by what
we feel to be our future needs (which is good since I'm teaching myself C++ with
no programmaing background--so far, so good). Only two of the people I know who
have worked or currently work for IS documentation have any programming
knowledge. However, I could think of some products that would probably require
some heavy programming skills in addition to good technical writing skills.

Bill Burns
Assembly Training and Documentation Supervisor
WBURNS -at- MICRON -dot- COM

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net