Re: Windows help tools--which to use?

Subject: Re: Windows help tools--which to use?
From: K Watkins <kwatkins -at- QUICKPEN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 11:27:00 -0300

Nora Merhar {merhar -at- YOOPER -dot- SWITCH -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM} asks:

>1. If you use a help tool, which do you use and do you like it?
>2. If you have used more than one tool, which did you prefer?
>3. Is Robohelp really the best, or just the most popular?
>4. Is it better to use a tool, or just code the help without one?

1. I use RoboHelp. It works well for me.
2. N/A
3. I keep thinking about Doc-To-Help, because I'm working in circumstances
where the paper docs and the on-line Help are _very_ similar. However,
unless you are in this situation, where one document could really serve as
your single source for both, I don't see a reason to prefer Doc-To-Help. As
people frequently point out on both this list and WinHelp-L, paper docs and
Help really do call for different approaches even when the content is
similar...and often it's not all that appropriate to use the same content in
both either.
4. I would strongly advise you to use a tool. It may be helpful to know
something about how the Help coding works, but I see no reason to add that
burden to your task unless you love it and have the time to spare...sort of
like having a loom in your living room so you can weave your own cloth
instead of buying your garments ready-made.

K Watkins
kwatkins -at- quickpen -dot- com
speaking for myself, not my employer

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net