Freelance Bidding by the Job- What Works Best?

Subject: Freelance Bidding by the Job- What Works Best?
From: Jxbarton -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 10:29:10 -0400

I'm looking for tips on submitting a bid for freelance work--here's the
problem.

I have the opportunity to take on a job writing a software manual that will
stretch over three months, and which I can do after hours and on weekends.
This is a great opportunity, but.....

The person handling the manual, who comes well recommended, doesn't want me
to work by the hour. He says:
"At this point, I'm not going to hire an employee for the [120 hour]
project. The bureaucratic hassles of having employees are too immense for
anything other than permanent, full time positions. But if you want to
include provisions in your bid to lower your risk, that would be fine."

Here's the question: What are some good provisions to include in my bid to
lower my risk?

I'm sure that other contractors would be interested in the answer to this
too, so feel free to reply to the list. (Please cc to me--I get the list in
digest form).

Thanks,
Jim Barton
jxbarton -at- aol -dot- com