Word document viewers

Subject: Word document viewers
From: Jay Stockbridge <jstock -at- EZNET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 13:28:09 -0700

I use Word for Windows 7.0 to produce manuals, installation instructions =
and other documents for our company. I have been asked to come up with a =
way to make these documents available to company personnel on-line, over =
a network.
The manuals must look on the screen the same as they do in hard-copy, =
except for the inclusion of hyperlinks for navigation. And, because many =
of these documents undergo frequent updates, we want to be able to =
maintain a single set of files, rather than have to duplicate each =
update in two different sets of files in differing formats.
In short, we want to be able to produce a document, containing the =
necessary hyperlinks for on-line use, which can also be used to print =
hard copies.
I thought we had found the perfect solution with the release of Word =
Viewer 7.1. It does everything we are looking for. You can use the =
Viewer to display a document on-screen as it appears in printed form, =
navigate using hyperlinks inserted with Internet Assistant, and print =
all or part of the manual just as you can with Word itself.
Unfortunately, all the network computers are running Word 6 on Windows =
for Workgroups (I work at home on a computer that runs Windows 95), so =
they can't use this version of the Viewer program. Although there is a =
Viewer for Word 6, it is a completely different product which does not =
support the hypertext capability.
What other alternatives, if any, do we have?

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net