Wanted - Online documentati

Subject: Wanted - Online documentati
From: Jean Clougherty <jean -at- VITALIMAGES -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 16:26:20 -0500

We need to create online documentation that can be viewed on UNIX
workstations. We want to create this documentation based on FrameMaker
documents that already exist on a Mac.

Here are the possibilities we have heard of. Please comment on any that you
have knowledge or opinions about, and especially, please tell us about other
options that you know of.

1. HTML files
Convert the FrameMaker files to HTML files, then view the HTML files with a
viewer such as Netscape. The FrameMaker to HTML converters that we have heard
of are Quadralays' WebWorks Publisher and WebMaster. However, we could
convert the FrameMaker files to another format, such as RTF or Word, and use
an HTML converter that can read that format.

2. IRIS InSight.
This is a UNIX online documentation tool.

3. FrameViewer
We could view the FrameMaker files with FrameViewer. We don't like this
option because we would like to have hypertext links created automatically
from major sections to their subsections, but FrameViewer doesn't do this.

4. Adobe Acrobat
We don't like this option for the same reason we don't like the FrameViewer
option. We would like to have hypertext links created automatically from
major sections to their subsections, but Acrobat doesn't do this.

Please send any comments, war stories, or suggestions to the list or directly
to us at either:
jean -at- vitalimages -dot- com or hawthorne -at- vitalimages -dot- com -dot-

Thanks a bunch.

Jean Clougherty
Vital Images, Inc.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net