Online Help/Doct Tools For UNIX-based software

Subject: Online Help/Doct Tools For UNIX-based software
From: Keith Posner <posner -at- SODALIA -dot- IT>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 16:47:15 +0200

Hello everyone

Our department is embarking on the design of an online documentation and help
system for software products with Motif-based GUI interfaces running under UNIX
(HP-UX 10.01 on Hp workstations). Currently we develop paper-based documentation
using Framemaker. We are now looking for information on a suitable tool for
developing online documentation and help.

There seem a lot of tools around for developing online help/documentation for
Windows-based systems, but so far I've only been able to identify two products
which might be suitable for use with Motif i.e. HyperHelp from Bristol
Technology and Frameviewer. The latter on investigation turned out to be
prohibitively expensive.

Can anyone suggest some leads? I'll be very happy to put together a summary
of results for anyone who is interested.

Best regards
Keith Posner
posner -at- sodalia -dot- it
Sodalia SpA Trento Italy