Dictionaries

Subject: Dictionaries
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 20:44:00 +0100

Hello Dan,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von "Daniel E. Wise" an All am 06.06.96

"E> From: "Daniel E. Wise" <dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com>

"E> Use a dictionary? USE A DICTIONARY? Are you incredibly mad?

there are times when dictionaries are extremely handy.

"E> Seriously, doesn't Roget's famous tome contain antonyms?

There are even more obscure dictionaries available, e.g. those describing the
origin of words or those describing different uses of words.

But seriously, if you are to invent a slogan or do intensive terminology work,
some bigger editions of dictionaries might help.

German is one of the languages blessed with lots of good dictionaries. Some of
them are long-time efforts, e.g. Grimms' Dictionary. The first volume was
published in 1853 by the Grimm brothers, the last volume in the 1960s. The
second edition will be published in 2010 or so. But about "water" you will
find
some 60 fine-print pages.

The most obscure dictionary I know of is one sorted alphabetically, but from
the LAST letter. This might not make sense in any other language than German,
but we combine words quite often (as I wrote in a message a few hours ago) and
the most important part of that compound word is the last one, like in
Buerohaus (office building) or Wohnhaus (appartement building). In this
dictionary you find all sorts of "Achse" (axis), including "Sachse"
(inhabitant of Saxonia, part of former East Germany).

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
|Fidonet: Alexander Von_obert 2:2490/1719
|Internet: avobert -at- twh -dot- msn -dot- sub -dot- org

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net