Re: Envoy vs Acrobat

Subject: Re: Envoy vs Acrobat
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 15:06:07 HST

>You will probably get lots of discussion on this! For starters, Acrobat
is built on Postscript technology and does best with those fonts. It has
trouble with many TrueType fonts. The reverse is (or was last time I
looked) true for Envoy.<

FWIW, Envoy is up to version 7 now. It supports JPEG compression for color
images, making for much smaller files. It's published by Tumbleweed Software, I
think. They have a Web site, where you can find more information and download
the Envoy viewer for your OS of choice.

I've used it for viewing files, but not for production. A friend has been using
it for over a year now to produce the online versions of the Hawaii
Astronomical Society newsletter -- links within the newsletter, heavy on
pictures -- but he just uses TT fonts.

I'd be curious about how well it handles PS fonts, too. Any experts out there?

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com
Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate

DISCLAIMER:
"I do not speak for my employer, my computer, or any other living thing."

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net