Re: Envoy vs Acrobat

Subject: Re: Envoy vs Acrobat
From: "Jeffrey C. Smith" <jeff -at- TUMBLEWEED -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 09:29:01 -0700

>>> Judi Brody/FASTTAX wrote:
>>> I need to create online user manuals from Help.
>>> Both Acrobat and Envoy are supposed to be capable
>>> of this.. Can anyone tell me why I should choose one of these over
>>> the other?
>> Sally Yeo wrote:
>> You will probably get lots of discussion on this! For starters, Acrobat
>> is built on Postscript technology and does best with those fonts. It has
>> trouble with many TrueType fonts. The reverse is (or was last time I
>> looked) true for Envoy.
> David Jones wrote:
> I'd be curious about how well it handles PS fonts, too.
> Any experts out there?

Envoy 7 uses Bitstream's TrueDoc font embedding solution, which is 100%
compatible with all Type 1 and TrueType fonts. Envoy 1.0a supported font
approximation (like multiple master) and TrueType font embedding.
(We skipped Envoy 2-6 because WordPerfect asked us to! They wanted all
applications in the suite to use the same version number. For those who
count, Envoy 7 is the third major release of the software.)

You can download free evaluation versions of the new Envoy publisher and
Envoy writer/driver from the Tumbleweed site, allowing you to see
first hand the quality of Envoy 7's font solution in addition to other
feature enhancements.

You might also consider downloading the new LiveConnect plug-in and
ActiveX control (for those who are using the latest versions of Navigator
or MSIE 3.0).

http://www.tumbleweed.com/download.htm

LiveConnect allows you to script the Envoy Netscape plug-in (or other
plug-ins) using Java, or even go the other direction by creating
hyper-text links to Java programs from Envoy documents. For those
attending PC/Expo, check out the LiveConnect demos in the Netscape booth.
Very cool.

-- jeff

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net