Readability---initial caps? -Reply

Subject: Readability---initial caps? -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 08:49:00 -0700

>>Can anyone refer me to definitive articles/books that discuss
readability for initial caps vs standard usage? Or quote results
from usability studies they have done on this?

Do you need a definitive article or book or readability or usability
study for this? Doesn't the Graphic Artist's Desire to Use Initial
Caps for All Significant Words in the Sentence Come under the Heading
of OVEREMPHASIS or Too Much of a Good Thing? Doesn't it belong with
overuse of italics, bold, underline, and taping your kids' thumbs so
they won't suck them?

The style the artist proposes would be fine if your slide text
consisted of words or terms. But since you are writing your slides
in a sentence style (a decision that causes me to raise my eyebrows
but you aren't asking about that), sentence style should prevail. I
think your question should be: Will my presentation be easier to read
or remember with complete sentences on the slides, or should I cut
everything to key words and topic titles?

Bill Sullivan
bsullivan -at- deltecpower -dot- com
San Diego, California

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net