Modular documentation

Subject: Modular documentation
From: Averil Strauss <averil -at- LEGENDCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 10:23:58 -0400

>Howdy,

>Pam Shannon writes:

>>We document a software product that runs on many platforms,
>>under several different operating systems. Functionality is
>>more or less the same, and some topics apply to all configurations.
>>But many do not.
><snip>

>>Does anyone out there have a solution?

>My company has the same problem...

>We are going with a modular format. Our documentation includes
>small paperback modules (booklets of 32-90 pgs), rather than chapters,
>boxed together. This gives us the flexibility to have modules covering
>general subject matter and those platform specific without having to
>make completely different manuals. Also, some of our customers will
>want more of certain modules; we can give them that without the cost
>of unwanted documentation.

>By the way, this also seems to be a more cost effective solution than
>a big perfect bound manual. We also hope it will be easier to upgrade
>(not having to reprint those which do not change).

>Melonie

Are you aware of the funny-looking staples with a loop attached to the back?
Sort of like this, but with all symbols connected.

In your situation I recommend using them. Then you can put all the modules
in one looseleaf binder so they don't stray or need replacing because of
user carelessness. A single binder also looks more impressive.

If you need software to massage the pages into booklets, my company supplies
some that is very fast.

Averil
Legend Communications, Inc.
Makers of PostScript and Imposition Software
http://www.legendcomm.com

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net